Director, Foundation Relations
Work That Matters - Our work is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
No one has more expertise treating children than Children's Hospital Los Angeles. CHLA is the only children's hospital in California to make the prestigious U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll of "Best" children's hospitals, and is nationally ranked in all 10 pediatric specialties.
Join a hospital where the work you do will matter—to you, to your colleagues, and above all, to our patients and families. At times the work may be challenging, but it is always rewarding. We hope you’ll come and find out for yourself.
It’s Work That Matters.
The Director of Foundation Relations is an experienced and talented fundraiser who manages a portfolio of prominent foundation prospects and donors. The position is responsible for building and stewarding strong relationships between foundation donors and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, implementing effective cultivation and solicitation strategies that align the hospital’s priorities with the interests of high-capacity donors, and securing six-and seven-figure gift commitments. The Director also produces proposals, reports and other development-related communications and manages the submission process. As a member of a high-performing development team, the Director reports to the Vice President of Foundation Relations.
Skills and Abilities
- Expertise in building meaningful and sustained relationships with foundations and internal constituencies that maximize the potential for philanthropic support.
- Develop and implement successful strategies to engage private foundations based on capacity and mission alignment with the hospital’s priorities and research strengths.
- Proven record securing six-and seven figure gift commitments from individuals, corporations, or foundations, both locally and nationally.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, including outstanding writing, editing, proofreading and presentation abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to produce compelling and persuasive proposals for medical, scientific or academic programs that convey a clear plan of action and strategic goals.
- Experienced guiding faculty and staff in all facets of foundation fundraising.
- Exceptional ability to think strategically and creatively with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced, metrics-driven environment with the skills to organize, prioritize and manage a high-volume of projects to successful completion.
- Experienced working independently, taking the initiative as a self-starter, or collaboratively as required.
- Highly motivated individual with the drive to achieve and exceed ambitious fundraising goals.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in English, journalism, or another writing-focused field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five years professional experience in foundation fundraising, philanthropy, academia, or other relevant experience, preferably in a university or research institution with a record of success with foundation funders.
You must be willing to reside in the state of California, and have a primary work site in the state of California, to be considered for this position.
At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, our work matters. And so do each and every one of our valued team members. Your race and ethnicity, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation and ability make you uniquely you – and that is just who we are looking for! So, bring the best of yourself and contribute to our mission in your own unique way.
Diversity inspires innovation. Our experiences, perspectives and backgrounds allow us to better serve our patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate the differences of our team members.Apply Now